Allentown’s Union & West End Cemetery is in the heart of the Old Allentown Preservation. The cemetery is actually two adjacent 19th Century burial grounds. Union Cemetery opened in 1854; West End Cemetery opened in 1876. They united as a single, non-profit cemetery organization on May 4, 1895. The cemetery grounds cover 19.6 acres and are the final resting place for over 22,000 departed souls. There are more than 700 Civil War Veterans buried in the cemetery as well as a few Revolutionary War soldiers. Veterans from the War of 1812 are also interred here. Ignatz Gresser, a Civil War Medal of Honor recipient, is buried in the cemetery.