Allentown’s Union & West End Cemetery is in the heart of the Old Allentown Preservation district and consists of 19.6 acres. The cemetery is actually two adjacent 19th Century burial grounds. Union Cemetery opened in 1854; West End Cemetery opened in 1876. They united as a single, non-profit cemetery organization on May 4, 1895.
The Union & West End Cemetery is the final resting place for 714 Civil War soldiers of which 22 were the Allen Rifles, the First Defenders to answer Lincoln’s call for troops. There are also five Revolutionary War soldiers, famous politicians, academics, and clergyman. They include Medal of Honor recipient Ignatz Gresser, the City of Allentown’s first Mayor Samuel McHose, colorful Allentown Mayors Edward Young and Fred Lewis, the first Dean of Muhlenberg College Henry Leh, Sr. (father of the Leh mercantile dynasty), William A. Roney who introduced electric lighting to Hamilton Street, as well as many others.